Friday, October 1, 2010

The mystery produce

A man at work gave this to me.  I had no idea what it was.

When I got home I posted its picture on Facebook and quickly received a response.  It's a cushaw, a Green-striped cushaw to be exact.  According to this website it has a hardy vine that is resistant to the squash vine borer and is tolerant of the heat. It's a winter squash so you can do all the winter squash things to it... like make pie.   Apparently, it's an heirloom vegetable and more common in Tennessee, Louisiana and Mississippi.  Although, I've heard from some PA friends that they've seen them at county fairs.  I guess I never paid enough attention in the produce barn.

Well, what a fun culinary adventure!  I did a little more research and decided I would make a pie and see what happened.  I've made pumpkin pie from a pumpkin before, surely I can make cushaw pie from a cushaw.... right?
Asked with the cushaw
I cut it open.  Very squash like.  Makes sense.
I scooped out its guts then placed it upside down on a cookie sheet covered with foil.  Then baked it at 350 for about an hour.
I think it has the prettiest seeds!  I also think I took an awesome picture of them  Who takes good seed pictures?  Oh, that's right, I do!  Woot woot!  

When it was done baking, I let it cool and then scooped out all it's tastiness and processed it in my food processor.  I ended up with 11 cups of cushaw.  Wowzers!
I made 2 pies and froze the rest.
Hello beautiful!
I think the flavor is more mild than pumpkin.  It made a tasty pie, but I think I would use more of the cushaw next time.  I used 3 cups in this pie.  Jim said that anything mixed with eggs, sugar and milk is tasty.   True enough.

5 comments:

  1. Nope, I'm pretty sure it doesn't

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the most beautiful seed picture I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I even read what you said about it, I thought, "What a nice seed picture!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious looking pies and what a wonderful reward for all the effort you put in to make them. I love Fall and prepping for winter. Now you have extra puree for other goodies =). Great seeds picture too, WoW!

    ReplyDelete