Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gutsy Cooks week three

Well, our fourth week of Gutsy Cooks really worked well for us, as we are studying Mexico in our geography class.  Week four was Empanadas and White Bean Soup.  I served the Empanadas on taco night and tada!  it's Social Studies!  I love homeschooling ;-)

I didn't make the soup.  I would have eaten it.  But I don't think I could have convinced anyone else to partake... so, no white beans for us.

I was very sad, because for some unknown reason (butter nappers perhaps?)  I was out of butter.  So I had to substitute shortening for the butter in the pastry.  I also chopped some fresh tomatoes instead of using canned.  Other than that I stuck to the recipe.

They had a filling of sauteed onion, tomatoes and tuna.  I was surprised at the tuna.  If I make them again, I think I would use chicken. But I thought it was very pretty.  This picture makes it look like there was cheese, there was no cheese.
Here they are all bright and cheery ready to be tucked into their little pastry homes.
Washed with egg and ready for baking.
Done and ready for the taste test.  The family was hungry, so I quickly snapped the picture and took them in which is why the front of my van is in the shot.  Or maybe the van smelled them and is lurking to see if she can snag one.
I am not too good with pastry.  I just can't seem to get it thin enough.  So they were a little bready.  I really wanted a dipping sauce.  We tried sour cream.  But it wasn't the magic element I was looking for.  I really could have used some guacamole.  But, alas, there was none.  Everyone ate them.  We didn't agree on a rating system, but everyone agreed that they were edible but didn't really want to see them for dinner again.  But it was suggested that if they were filled with pizza, apples or caramelized bananas, they would gladly give them another try.

On a random note, we had some wicked storms roll through today.  Here's a picture my husband took.

3 comments:

  1. I bet if you made them with chicken, the ratings go up. They look really nice and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally eat that. I say add cheese and serve with some nice, fresh salsa. You could blend it to make it thin enough to be a tasty dipping sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Brenda.. love the van comment! Glad that you tried them. Everyone in the club had issues with the pastry and some suggested other recipes for anyone that was willing to do a rewind on the recipe. Like you I was a bit weird it out about the tunna filling, but we ended un liking it.

    ReplyDelete