Tuesday, October 5, 2010

First Gutsy Cooks meal!

Finally!  Time for the Gutsy Cooks to start showing what they're made of.  Our first recipies were Potato Skins with Cheddar and Bacon and Baked Barbecue Wings with Blue cheese.

I thought that these two dishes would be perfect together as a fun dinner and a great way to kick off this adventure.  While they were cooking the house smelled like we were preparing for an awesome party.  I wished for a moment that we like football because this food would have been perfect for that sort of gathering.  But alas, not really the sports fans over here.   Anyway... I digress

I usually like to follow recipes pretty closely the first time I make them and then I like to tweak them after.  But I made two changes to these recipes I used green onions instead of shallots and I used chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces instead of wings.  The breasts were way cheaper and I'm no dummy.

I normally take lots of pictures but for some reason I didn't take any of the prep but I did remember to photograph them as they made their way into the oven
 
While the potatos and chicken cooked I whipped up the Blue Cheese dip

Then finally!  They were done.
The flavor of the chicken was great.  It was a big hit.  Even Asked, who only likes things that taste like pizza right now, gave them a thumbs up and willingly ate the required one.  I did think it was funny that after all my talk of the great pictures in the book, the chicken did not look like the picture.  Next time I make it, I will double it for the 2 pounds of chicken and see how that works.  The blue cheese dip ROCKED.  Life was eating it with a spoon.  Even Asked liked it and ate a great deal with some baby carrots.


Instead of topping the potatoes with parsley I uses some chives.  They were super yum.  Jim, who is not a big potato fan said they just tasted like potatoes but then he ate 2.  Thumbs up from Treasure.  I'll make them again.

So I say the first challenge of Gutsy Cooks was a success in our house.  The kids also enjoyed the fact that there was a little presentation so I could take pictues.  They deemed it a 'fancy meal'

5 comments:

  1. This makes me wish I liked bleu cheese. I shall keep up with these posts. I like a cooking challenge. I mean, reading about you doing one. Nice dishes, BTW. Someone awesome must've gotten those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one funny lady! Love how you changed it up... and the previous post... HILARIOUS. Thanks for joining the club. We have fun time ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can come cook for our Superbowl party. That looks much tastier than our usual fare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to eat those potatoes. They look especially yummy.

    ReplyDelete