Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Lesson in Tooth

I felt like our last trip to the dentist really knocked me down in the 'mother of the year' rankings.  Treasure's check up was great.  No cavities.  But Joy and Asked... UGH!  Both would require 8 fillings and Asked was going to need 3 teeth pulled AND a root canal.  I left the office in tears.  How could this have happened?  I made sure they brushed their teeth daily and I bought them flossers so they could floss their own teeth.  When I really thought about it, I wasn't sure the last time I actually WATCHED them brush or floss their teeth.  Upon further inspection I found that Joy wasn't properly flossing and Asked only cared for his front teeth.  DOH!  Well,  nothing  can undo what was already done, but we have taken steps to greatly improve dental hygiene in Jim and Brenda's house.  And I've spread the word so that what happened to us doesn't happen to others.  Learn from us, people!

Today was our first of several visits to the dentist for tooth repair.  Treasure had some sealant put on her adult teeth.  She went first.  Easy peasy.  Although during her procedure there was a boy beside her who was getting a tooth pulled.  The other kids seemed oblivious but it totally freaked me out.  I texted Jim in a panic.  He said "Tell them they're all together and it's going to be ok."  I didn't say anything to the kids because they didn't notice what was happening, but, really, I didn't have to say anything.  They were all very encouraging and supportive of each other. 

Joy and Asked got to go together and both got laughing gas  Joy was super emotional and whimpered quite a bit until the end when she started humming the Pink song "So What"  and finally seemed relaxed.  But she listened well and when the dentist said to stop doing whatever she was doing, she immediately stopped.  I stayed with her most of the time because Asked really seemed to respond, shall we say, positively to the laughing gas.  He talked even more non stop than usual.  His best comment was "I was born with ninja skills."  He was cracking the hygntist up.  And THANK GOD for Treasure who stayed with him without flinching or complaing.  I'm so blessed!
Joy getting the 'laughing air' as they called it at the dentist.  I took the camera and a few times she asked me to take a picture of what was going on so I could show her.  She likes to know what's happening.  I think next time will be less stressful for her because she knows what to expect.

They give the kids sunglasses to wear so the big light isn't so bright.  The kids all love that.

Joy has one more appointment and Asked will have two to finish all the work that needs to be done.  Today, their good behavior and bravery was rewarded with milkshakes and new games to play on their DS's.  And Asked was told that the Tooth fairy is extra kind to kids who loose their teeth at the dentist.  He lost 2 and so I think he will find the regular $1 a tooth and perhaps a little something extra under his pillow in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. I love the pics. Asked cracks me up. I find my kids singing "So What" all the time. I like that about Joy. What a wonderful day for you guys. I love your family.

    ps
    Tell Treasure that I said she's a super nice sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot a great Treasure and Joy story! Asked had to get a 'silver tooth.' While they were putting it on, they dropped one of the crowns on the floor so Treasure picked it up and was studying it and showed Joy and Asked. (They were not very interested due to the 'happy air') Then in the car she says "I think I'm going to put this in my memory box." Joy about had a canary. "What! Memory box! Nothing about THIS was good." Treasure, very calmly replied "I never said it was good, I just said it was a memory." Oh, and even better this morning while Treasure was getting her breakfast she stopped, turned around and looked at me and said "Today I pledge not to make fun of my brother and sister today. Which really isn't like me." HA! She cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that her memory box is about good and not so good memories.

    We have a dentist appointment coming up in a couple of weeks and hoping our oldest lets the dentist actually clean her adult teeth (she wouldn't let them scrape them last time but I was in the waiting room with the youngest and didn't know she was being difficult). I'm bringing in the husband as reinforcements.

    ReplyDelete