Wednesday, March 2, 2011

February

Well.  I have been a blogging slacker lately.  Just not feeling very motivated, I guess.  But it's a new month and I have lots of things to share.  So!  Let the blogging begin!

First, I need to update you on my Gutsy Cooking.

I made the Spicy Shrimp Gratin and Key Lime Pie scheduled for week 17.  While the Gratin was in the oven I got the call that my Grandpa had passed away.  So I cried when my Shrimp Gratin was super soupy.  But Jim was very understanding and told me that it would make a great soup.  What a nice husband.  Sometime I'll tell you about my grandpa, he was a great guy.  He also appreciated a great meal (see how I transitioned there)

I think I would make the shrimp again, but it was really soupy.  I'm not sure how it's supposed to be, but I don't think I succeeded.  It tasted good, though.  The Key Lime Pie was super lime-y.  It was really easy to make, but I think I would tweak the amount of lime in it. 

I forgot to take pictures so you'll have to use your imagination on that one.

I missed week 18, because we were home for the funeral.

Week 19 was Lamb Kebabs and Sticky Lemon Cake.
The Lemon cake called for almond meal, which I could NOT find.  Ugh!  I was frustated because I LOVE lemon cake.  Last week I found some at Whole Foods for $13!  Yikes!  I guess the Lemon cake is not in my future.  But I made the Lamb Kebabs with beef.   Yum!  My kids loved the meat on a stick.  I don't know why I don't serve it more often.
 The tomato dressing on top was ok.  It was kinda flat, which I think was due to the bland store bought winter tomatoes.  So it made me really look forward to summer when I can use fresh homegrown tomatoes.  But I will make it again and cover meat with it.  mmmmmmmmmm

Week 20 Scallop and Pesto Crostini and Mediterranean Lasagna.
I didn't make the Crostini, I'm not a fan of scallops.  I did make the Lasagna.  YUM-O-LICIOUS!  It was full of veggies.
The only thing about the recipe that I didn't like, was the way it said to slice the eggplant.  The pieces were too big and weird.  Next time I'll cut everything the same size.  But other than that, a real winner in my book!

Now, I've missed weeks 21 & 22, but this week is Homemade English muffins and Eggs Benedict!  OH BOY!  Stay tuned for that.  I remember early on in the gutsy cooking, I attempted my first Holindaise sauce and it turned out so super delicious.  I made some last night and it didn't work so well.  I'm hoping I'm back on my 'A' game when I make these eggs!
Just in case you're interested, here's the link for the Gutsy Cooks.  See you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Brenda.. welcome back, you been busy! First, I'm sorry about your granpa. Having lost 3 of my grandparents I can relate to missing them, specially if you were close.

    My Shrimps were not soupy, but, they did have a good amount of sauce on them and it was not very thick either - somewhere in the middle. I did use super heavy cream, which I find in my asian market and its really high content fat (about 58%) so maybe that is why mine was not as soupy, just a thought.

    Like you I'm really looking forward to this weeks menu.. HOMEMADE English muffins! and Hollandaise sauce... what is not to like?!?!?!

    Here is looking forward to your post next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I missed this post. Maybe I was cleaning in anticipation of your arrival. No, that can't be it. I don't do that anymore. Anyway, I like the sounds of something called a shrimp gratin. And lime pie. And meat on a stick. I like this gutsy cooks thing. Mostly I wish I lived next door so I could eat at your house.

    ReplyDelete