Thursday, March 3, 2011

Encouragement from Dr. Seuss

Our homeschool has been very lackluster lately.  I'm not a good teacher and the kids are not excited students.  It happens.  I know.  Until yesterday I felt just hopeless about the whole situation.  The passion was gone.  We're in our 5th year and I just felt... eh.  Just... eh.

We follow a curriculum, My Father's World.  I really really like it.  This year we're working on  Exploring Countries and Cultures.  I think it's a great program, but the kids don't really like it so it's been a struggle to get though.  And if I'm being completely honest, we started it last year and only made it through week 3 and I think we've just finished week 8 this year.  That brings about more of an UGH than an eh, I suppose.

Yesterday I decided to have a Dr. Seuss day in celebration of his birthday.  We read a biography, several books and I printed a few worksheets

But then a beautiful thing happened.  All the big kids started READING... on their own.  Asked never ever wants to read, but he picked up this book voluntarily and made a good effort.  
Both Treasure and Joy picked up books and read as well. It was so very wonderful to see and it reminded me why homeschooling is so great.

Then, to make the day even better, the weather was super beautiful.  I hung out the first laundry of the year and the kids all played outside for a long time.
AND the flowers are coming into bloom.  I bet tomorrow I'll see some daffodils! 
Then, to bring the great day to a close, we had a Dr. Seuss inspired dinner.
Asked helping to make the green eggs.

We had both 'dippy' and scrambled eggs.  Joy noted that the scrambled eggs looked very 'Grinchy' in color.
Green eggs, ham and Cat in the Hat biscuits.  I added cantaloupe just so we would have a fruit, Treasure thought that they kind of looked like some of the houses Dr. Seuss created.  I was glad that it all came together.
I won't say that I have a renewed passion, but, I don't feel hopeless about our homeschool anymore.  Joy and Asked both were excited to read again today and that makes me happy.   Maybe, just maybe, they'll all graduate after all. 

3 comments:

  1. I love you and your Dr. Seuss day. We all need a little glimpse of why we do this crazy, yet wonderful, thing we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Fun day! I forgot it was Dr. Seuss day and then pretended not to know. Thankfully, the kids didn't know either. Kinda like "mom, have we had our 100th day of school yet?" Ummmm......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a public school teacher, I'm obviously not a grand supporter of homeschooling- but I understand why parents choose to do it. But believe me, even the GREATEST of teachers will have a "wordsearch" day, where everything is fine, until the end of the day when guilt sets in and you think to yourself- CRAP! I just sent those kids home with absolutely nothing learned!

    You are running a family, working, volunteering AND teaching your children. Kudos to you, because you definitely get a gold star for effort! I don't think I could pull it off (happy, healthy children, a good marriage, fun experiences, blogs!) if I were in your shoes.

    You rock.

    PS- LOVE LOVE LOVE the cat in the hat biscuits! OMG!

    ReplyDelete