Sunday, January 23, 2011

Gutsy Cooks week 16

Our menu for week 16 was Hungarian goulash soup pg 111, Potato and Parmesan cakes pg 245, Profiteroles pg 439.

I was excited to try all these new dishes.  I'm not really familiar with goulash in the Hungarian fashion, so I don't know how authentic this one is.  It called for spices I never use, so I was worried that the family might turn up their noses at this new dish, but I was also interested to see if it would be accepted.
I only changed two small things about this recipe, I added more meat (2 pounds instead of 1 1/2) and I added some frozen carrots for a little extra veggie.
It was pretty well received, Jim said he liked it way more with the sour cream.  I will definitely make this again.  Now, my potato cakes were another story.
They sort of disintegrated in the oil and the light flour coating peeled off.  They were pretty ugly and only just a tad tasty.  I've tried to make potato cakes before with very minimal success.  Perhaps they're just not my thing.  Which I suppose is alright, since I'm the only one in my family that really likes potatoes.
Now last, but by far the least were Profiteroles.  These were little cream puffs drizzled with chocolate.   YUMMY!
Here are the little pastries fresh from the oven.  The recipe said to use a pastry bag to make them, but I just used a small scoop and it worked super well. 

The finished product.  They're piped full of fresh whipped cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce.
These are such an impressive little treat!  I will make these again for sure.  But I think I'll double the pastry part.  I had a bunch of whipped cream and chocolate left, which really is a big pity. (wink wink)  I ended up making brownies a few days later and topping them with the extra stuff.  So having the extras wasn't so painful after all.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, look at you, all 3 choices! So sad about the potato cakes... like you I have a love/hate relationship when I venture out of my bake/mashed potato comfort zone.. that is why I skipped it! ha!

    And you are right, the cream puff... totally addictive food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom used to make goulash and I always liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, you should make cream puffs the next time I visit. Mmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete