Saturday, March 19, 2011

Gutsy menu 23... kind of

I was so very excited to try this weeks Gutsy Menu (English Muffins pg. 76 and Eggs Benedict pg. 138.)  I tried my hand at Holindase sauce early on in my Gutsy Cooking and was really impressed with the result.  I had never liked it before I made my own.  I was also excited to make English Muffins since I had never made them before.  
I got home from work all geared up and ready to cook.  But then... my family said "What's for dinner?"   And I excitedly responded "Eggs Benedict!"  They all groaned.  Even Jim.  Oh dear.  If he's not on board I know that I'll never get the kids to even try it.  I was so devastated.  
So I tried to make the best of the bad situation, I made the English Muffins and then browned some sausage and scrambled some eggs.  Egg McMuffins!  HUGE SUCCESS!  So, no hollandaise sauce, but happy family.  So I guess it was a good meal in the end.
I have never made English muffins before, or even thought about how they were made.  Instead of baking them you make them in a frying pan!
Balls of dough in the frying pan.

All risen and ready to flip.

Flipped and browning on the other side!  GENIUS!
These were SO yummy.  The kids all devoured them.  Definitely a new favorite in our house.  They were more dense then the store bought ones and mine weren't very porous, but I think if I did it again, I would let them rise more before cooking them.  
Not pretty, but very happy, egg and sausage muffin sammy. 

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE homemade english muffins. Thomas obviously knows nothing about making them in comparison. I'll have to make them again soon now that you've reminded me of their deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember, probably over a year ago, Heather telling me that they were super awesome, then I forgot to try them. What a waste of a year.

    ReplyDelete