Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gutsy cooks week 6

I spent a few minutes today flipping through the Cooking Bible and marking down all the recipes that we have done so far and the ones scheduled for the future. 

Doing so got me excited to prepare this week's menu
Cod in Tomato Sauce and Spanish Vegetable Tortilla

I saw in other cook's posts that several of them were not fans of fish with tomato sauce.  I couldn't think of a time when I had ever HAD fish with a tomato sauce, so I was game. 

My first adjustment to the recipie was that I used Whiting instead of Cod.  Whiting was on sale... what's a girl to do?  Whiting is a pretty fishy fish, just so you know.  We like fish here, so it wasn't a big deal. 

My next adjustment was that it called for fish stock.  Ewww, I couldn't even bring myself to look for such a thing in the store, so I used chicken stock. 

I thought the procedure was a little cumbersome.  Cook the fish; remove the fish; make the sauce; add the fish; bake the pan; remove fish from pan; boil and reduce sauce.... ehh.  I'm a lazy cook and this was a lot of work. 

In the end I would say that 'yes' I like fish with tomato sauce and 'no' I do not like THIS tomato sauce.  After trying it, Jim and I both thought it was lacking and so I added some spaghetti sauce that Jim had made and I thought that really perked it up.  So if I do this again, I'll just use our homemade spaghetti sauce and cut out a lot of the busy work that was involved here.  The family were not huge fans... well, except Treasure, she ate 3 pieces!

The Spanish Tortilla was like a fritatta, I guess.  It was tons of potatoes and veggies all cooked together with eggs.  I was so excited for this.  I'm a big fan of potatoes and my family is not, so Gutsy Cooks is a great excuse to cook 'em up!

Anything that involves a pile of tastiness like that has GOT to be good.
I browned the potatoes in a non stick pan along with some red onion and I steamed some broccoli and peas.  I beat 6 eggs, added all the veggies to it and then put it back into the non stick pan.

We have chickens, and they provide us with such pretty eggs, I just wanted to show them off a little!
Life always likes to be underfoot... I mean  keep me company in the kitchen.  Here she was singing 'Uh Oh!' to those forks.  She was cracking me up!
The finished tortilla.  You have to cook it slowly and then get it out of the pan onto a plate, flip it back into the pan to cook the other side and then flip it again on to a plate when you're all finished.  It was tricky, but I was successful!
I liked this quite a bit.  I don't think I would use peas again, they were a little weird.  But it was good.  Jim was pleasantly surprised and said "Huh!  That was better than I expected"  The kids were mostly indifferent, so it is definitely on the make again list!  Maybe next time with some hollandaise sauce?
The finished meal. 

3 comments:

  1. Brenda.. it looks good! And how Gutsy of you to change it [tomato sauce] a bit to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would eat all of that. Potatoes+veg+eggs makes me so happy. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these recipes look so yummy. I would like to eat this one too.

    ReplyDelete