Thursday, November 11, 2010

The eyes have it

So I was inspired by another homeschooler today when I saw her post on facebook that they had graphed eye color today.  I remember doing that with Treasure when she was in first grade.  So, I thought we would give it a try today.  To make it more fun I did a poll on facebook.   I posted to let me know the eye colors of your family.  (We have 4 blue and 2 Hazel)  Wow!  What a response!  When we did the project we had 97 pairs of eyes to graph, at last check we have well over 100!  Perhaps we'll do it again another day to include all the responses.

Asked, who is in first grade,  picked 4 families and graphed their eye colors using counting blocks.  He ended up with 21 people to graph.


The girls used hash marks to figure the number of each color

and then made a bar graph to show their results.
Blue (51), Hazel (13), Brown (17), Green (16) and Gray (2)
 I may see if Jim will do a line graph with the Treasure and Joy tomorrow.  Maybe even a pie chart!  If they do, I'll be sure to add on the pictures.

As a kid, I always thought everyone seemed to have hazel eyes like me.  Boy was I wrong!  What an interesting project.  

2 comments:

  1. You should continue doing this as your results are wildly out of line with the statistics of the general population. That in itself is amazing. One time Mikey and I flipped a coin to prove that it would land heads-up 50% of the time. We did it over 500 times and it was still not 50/50. Statistics are funny (and not always to be trusted).

    ReplyDelete