Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fried Apple Heaven

Sometimes I come up with an idea and I can't believe that I didn't think of it sooner.  I mean really.  How did I not have this stroke of genius before?  It seems so obvious now.
 I LOVE apple pie.  It's no secret.  I'll tell you to your face.  I LOVE APPLE PIE.  All warm with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream.   mmmmmm I'm getting all Homer Simpson drooly over here.  Anyway, I also LOVE LOVE LOVE fried apples.  Love them!  All warm and sweet and delicious.  Why did I never think to combine the two before?  It's genius.  Really.  Best of both worlds.  Jim thinks that I only like it because it's a way to get more butter into my apple pie.  Is that so wrong?  Anyway, here's what I did:
I peeled and cut up some apples.
I melted butter in my trusty cast iron skillet.

I fried up those bad boys and added brown sugar.  Do you see this?!?  Do you see it being all bubbly and delicious?
I slapped on a simple pie crust.  It's not pretty, but it did the job.
Then I put in in the oven just long enough for the crust to get all golden brown and delicious.

It turned out like this!  Y*U*M
I didn't measure anything so I'm kinda guessing on these measurements.  Tweak it how you like and enjoy.

Fried Apple Pie

4 cups of tart apples peeled and sliced
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. brown sugar

1/3 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp salt
1-3 tsp water

Mix together shortening, flour sugar and salt until it becomes a crumbly mixture, begin mixing in a teaspoon of water at a time until the flour mixture is moist, then form the pastry into a ball.  Roll out pie crust so it will fit in your skillet.  Set aside.

Melt butter in large cast iron skillet over medium/high heat.  Add apples.  Cook about 3 minutes then add brown sugar.  Cook until brown sugar melts and becomes bubbly.  Remove from heat.  Add pie crust.  Place in 400 degree oven and bake until crust is brown.

4 comments:

  1. Yum. Clearly, I need a cast iron skillet.

    I know, I know. It's shocking. But true. Maybe I will look for one when I'm out today. I often wish I had one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I'll have to try it if/when we ever make it out to Boyd's. P.S. I love Google Buzz, otherwise, I'd never have know you had a blog. :-) I finally figured out how it works last week. P.P.S. I feel like I am reading the pioneer woman with all of your yummy looking food and awesome pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks yummy. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete