Saturday, December 4, 2010

Gutsy Cooks week 7

We took a little break over the Thanksgiving holiday, I probably should have used that time to catch up, but I didn't.  I hope everyone had a tasty Thanksgiving.  We sure did!
Well, so back to my gutsy cooking.  I think that everyone else is on week 10 or something and I just did week 7.  So I guess gutsy- yes, quick- no.
This week's menu was Lamb Tangine with Couscous and Tabbouleh.  I was excited for this weeks menu.  It just so happened that I made this tasty stew on the first of December and it snowed.  What better day for a warm tasty stew?  I had to make a few substitutions in the spices because, as seems my 'MO', I was out of a few things.  I swapped out some chili powder for ground cumin and dried cilantro for ground coriander.   I also didn't use lamb.  As I've said before, just for the sake of convenience, I mostly shop at Wal Mart.  I don't think they're known for their section of lamb.  But they did have a nice beef roast on sale.  So we had beef.
Here's the beef, seasonings and onions after marinading in my fridge for 4 hours.  I cooked it on the stove to brown the meat, then added chicken stock and orange juice.  
After all that was brought to a boil, I baked it in the oven for an hour and a half.  I will totally make stew this way again.  Yum.  The beef was so super tender.  I served it over Couscous.  I've never made it before.  It was so easy.  I'll definitely do that again!  I forgot to take a picture, but here's one of the leftovers all ready for my lunch!
The other dish was Tabbouleh.  I was so excited for this.  I'm a big fan.  But I have to say that this recipe left quite a bit to be desired.  It was so sour!  I'm going to tell you what I put in it and if you make a tasty Tabbouleh, let me know what I can do differently.  It WAS very pretty, though.
cracked wheat, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, scallions, parsley, mint and tomatoes.  I couldn't find fresh mint and had to use dried, but I don't think that was the issue.

4 comments:

  1. Brenda, we are in 10 yes (this weeks).. but you can skip and then use a "rewind day" to catch up. I'm glad you made the tagine work.. but if you ever have an opportunity, try it with lamb.. its delicious.

    On theTabbouleh, the best way to eat this is after a full day of marinating it.. not the same day (which I have no clue if you did or not), also to counter balance the lemon juice the best way is to season heavy with salt, at least that has been my experience when something is tart with the acidity ingredient that I'm using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, I wish I was at your house for this meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tabbouleh is super sour, usually. And the fresh mint is really necessary. I say try again with a whole bunch of fresh mint. :) We can make it when you're here if you want! I am so happy you discovered couscous. So quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monica - Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't let it marinade, but when I ate some the next day, it was better. I hope to try it with lamb sometime.

    Heather - Next time you visit, I'll plan our meals better and feed you something fancy.

    Carrie -I like that we're already planning what we will eat when I'm there.

    ReplyDelete