Thursday, June 23, 2011

Onion rings

My neighbor gave me 3 GINORMOUS  onions.

Treasure doing her best spokes-model impression with the onion.
I thought about just chopping them for all the regular onion uses, but that seemed a little lame for onions of such great proportions.  So I decided to try my hand at making one of my favorite foods... ONION RINGS!  YUM!  I found this recipe and gave it my best.
Look at all these rings from just the ONE onion!
My messy little work station.  First you dipped them in flour then in an egg/milk mixture.  You're supposed to let the egg/milk mixture drip off which is why I have them suspended on a spoon over the bowl.  Then dip in bread crumbs and last deep fry!
ENORMOUS pile of rings!  YUM!!
I loved the texture of this recipe but the coating didn't stay in place well.  So I think that next time I won't let all the egg/milk drip off before dipping them in the bread crumbs and see what happens.  I have 2 more onions, so I'll HAVE to try this again.

2 comments:

  1. I would eat that. I know for fried chicken that if you let the breading sit on the chicken then it stays on better. What if there was a rest step after the crumbs? Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy. I would probably skip the drip part next time too.

    ReplyDelete