Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Gutsy cooks week 27

I am behind in posting about my cooking adventures.  I'm also behind in cooking them, if you must know.  If you haven't figured it out, I'm a tad of a procrastinator.  My mother told me that I come by it honestly, so it's nice to know she takes responsibility for that... or at some point she will.
Week 27's menu was Spanish Lentils - page 214 and Sachertorte - page 416.  I didn't make the lentils.  Last week when I said that the family hadn't yet revolted over my Gutsy Cooking, I spoke a little too soon.  So, I'm cooling my gutsy heels just a little.  But, I had a party and so I made the Sachertorte, because, well it's chocolate cake.  Who doesn't like that?
The cake recipe called to separate the eggs, mix the yolks in with the batter and then whip the whites.   

It's like a chocolate cloud!
 It turned out pretty well.  I thought the coating was going to be like ganache, but it was more like a glaze.  It was not the funnest stuff to work with, but the final product turned out well.
You're supposed to write 'sachertorte' on the top of the cake, but I totally chickened out at the last minute and just made some lovely waves.

2 comments: